This Green Apple Crumble Pie is similar to Apple Crisp, but in pie form!
This pie is made with Granny Smith apples, brown sugar, butter and plenty of spice!
Prefer video? Watch our latest recipe videos!
Green Apple Crumble Pie
Granny Smith apples otherwise known green apples are sweet yet tart apples. I wanted to find out more about how these apples got their nickname so I did a Google search.
I don’t know about you all, but sometimes I get so used to calling things by a name I’ve always heard, that I forget to find out the background story of how the name evolved in the first place.
Who else has been guilty of doing this?
So here’s what Google says…
These apples (Granny Smith) were named after Mary Ann (Granny) Smith from Tasmania, Australia. Ms. Smith ate crab apples, which is a Tanzanian fruit.
When she was finished eating the apple, she tossed the scraps into a creek on her property.
Well, she later discovered that these apples were growing in this creek from the crab apple seeds. Hence the name Granny Smith apples.
This very interesting story dates back to 1868. Ms. Smith was a lucky woman. I wish that’s all it took to grow food in Texas soil lol.
What I like the most about these apples is that they are great for baking. They don’t become mushy or just fall apart, they are just right. About five green apples were used to create this recipe.
Now let’s talk about this pie crust for a second, totally store bought! No shame in my game. I am a big fan of Pillsbury products so I went right down to the store and picked up a Pillsbury deep dish pie crust.
Two pie crusts come in each package so I will definitely be baking something else yummy for you in the near future. These pie crusts come in a pie pan ready to go.
All I had to do is let it thaw for 15 to 20 minutes prior to assembling the pie. The crust is light, but still holds together with no problem. The crust is never dry are lacking flavor. Sounds like a winner to me!
You may also enjoy:
- 5 Granny Smith/green apples
- 1/2 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of all spice
- 1/4 +1 c of flour
- 1/4 c of granulated sugar
- 6 tbsps of unsalted butter-melted
- 3/4 c of brown sugar
- 1 tbsps of lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove pie crust for freezer and allow to sit at room temp. while other ingredients are being prepared- at least 15 minutes.
- Peel and slice apples as desired.
- In a bowl, add apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, 1/2 c of flour, granulated sugar and lemon juice. Mix together well then add into pie crust.
- In a bowl, add flour, brown sugar and melted butter. Blend together with a pastry cutter or fork until crumbs begin to form.
- Spread crumbs evenly over apples.
- Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Welcome to with Kultural Kreations! Our recipes are southern based; however, we create a variety of delicious recipes from Air Fryer Recipes, Casseroles, Appetizers, Dessert, Cocktails and more!