Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo is a southern dish with a Louisiana flair.
This dish is a combination of shrimp, sausage, chicken and okra
best served over a bed of white rice or with a side of crackers.
Watch us make this recipe!
Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
Tired of soup? And even more so tired of stew? Enjoy southern food as much as I do? You’ve come to the right place.
Shrimp and sausage gumbo has plenty of veggies and meat to fill you up. Plus, the addition of the dried shrimp gives the gumbo that extra seafood flavor. If you’re new to making gumbo, it may take some time to learn how to make the roux. This recipe was made with Tony Chachere’s Instant Roux Mix. All you have to do is mix it with water and your roux is done! No need to stand at the stove forever to get the perfect roux!
Serve up a bowl of gumbo with a side of white rice or crackers. Saltine crackers pair well with the gumbo. For an extra burst of flavor, top your bowl of gumbo with a sprinkle of gumbo file seasoningand then stir throughout the bowl. The burst of flavor is indescribable. You just have to see for yourself.
Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
Gumbo can be made so many different ways. You can add crab, oysters etc. Some make their gumbo with Andouille sausage, but my preference is smoked sausage. Really just make it your own.
I am not a fan of either oysters or crab, just preference, but give me shrimp any day. Hence the double shrimp in this recipe.
But this recipe is so versatile you can switch it up any way you like. I don’t know about you all, but in my family, we eat gumbo over rice with a side of crackers, just saying.
Southerners love their rice and of course, have never been a stranger to a carb lol.
You may also like:
Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
- 6 Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 14 oz of smoked beef sausage- sliced
- 1 lb of cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 package of dried shrimp
- 1 (12) ounce bag of frozen okra
- 1/2 c of bell pepper
- 1/2 c of yellow onion
- 2 tsps of minced garlic
- 2 tbsps of vegetable oil
- 1 c of Tony Chachere’s Instant Roux
- 1 1/2 + 2 tbsps of Tony Chachere’s creole seasoning
- 1 1/2 tbsps of Gumbo file’
- 8 cups of water
- saltine crackers or white rice optional
- Season chicken thighs with 2 tbsps of creole seasoning.
- In a skillet, cook the chicken thighs on each side until brown.
- Once thighs are brown remove them from the skillet and set them aside to cool.
- Once the chicken has cooled, cut it into strips.
- Add sliced sausage to skillet and brown on each side.
- While your sausage is browning, cut the chicken thighs into strips.
- In a large stock pot, add oil and heat under medium heat.
- Add bell pepper and cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in onion and cook for one minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add minced garlic and stir.
- Whisk in the roux and six cups of cool water into the mixture.
- Add chicken and sausage to the pot and stir.
- Stir in two additional cups of water.
- Cover pot and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in okra, 1 1/2 tbsp of creole seasoning and gumbo file’ seasoning.
- Simmer for 20 minutes covered, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in fresh and dried shrimp. Allow to simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes. Add additional water if roux is too thick.
- Lastly, serve with a side of rice or crackers. Sprinkle extra gumbo file' seasoning over your gumbo for added flavor.
Welcome to with Kultural Kreations! Our recipes are southern based; however, we create a variety of delicious recipes from Air Fryer Recipes, Casseroles, Appetizers, Dessert, Cocktails and more!