Southern Potato Salad is a family favorite recipe that is very popular at cookouts;
however, is a versatile dish that’s great anytime.
Prefer video? Watch our latest recipe videos!
Hey there! I’m here with another barbecue recipe for you all. Okay potato salad can be eaten anytime, but since July 4th/Independence Day is approaching we are going to call it a barbecue recipe.
That’s what we do for “The 4th” right. Pull out the barbecue grill, gather family and friends around, make a few cocktails and it’s a good time!
Southern Potato Salad
You will need:
- Russet potatoes
- Whole eggs
- Yellow onion
- Diced celery
- Apple cider vinegar
- Granulated sugar
- Sweet relish
- Miracle whip
- Black pepper
- Optional: paprika for garnish
Steps to make this recipe:
- Peel the potatoes then cut them into large cubes.
- In a large pot, add the potatoes and cover with water. Boil them for about approximately 14 minutes or until tender.
- In a pot, boil the eggs for approximately 14 minutes. While eggs and potatoes are boiling, dice the onion and celery.
- Once the potatoes are finished cooking, drain the excess water and add the potatoes to a bowl. Once eggs are done, peel and dice them.
- Add the diced eggs to the bowl with potatoes and mix everything together.
- Add the celery, onion, sugar, relish, vinegar and miracle whip. Fold the ingredients together then fold the mustard into the mixture.
- Garnish with paprika. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least two hours prior to serving.
Too bad I live within the city limits and can’t pop my own firecrackers. I remember when I was a kid, we would go to my mom’s hometown in Alabama for the 4th every now and then.
My family lived in a small town in the country so we could pop as many firecrackers as we pleased.
My big cousins would pop them and we would all run like scary cats lol. Then we would turn around and be in awe of how beautiful they were. Those were good times!
My grandfather would smoke a hog for everyone to eat, my mom and her sisters would make potato salad, baked beans, you name it!
A barbecue is not a barbecue without potato salad. Everyone loves it, but if nothing else it’s tradition.
And tradition creates the memories that I shared with you today. And at the end of the day, that’s all that really matters!
You may also like:
Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
- 4 small russet potatoes
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 tbsps of yellow onion- diced
- 2 tbsps of celery- diced
- 2 tbsps of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsps of sugar
- 2 tbsps of sweet relish
- 6 tbsps of miracle whip
- 1 tbsp of mustard
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 tsp of paprika optional garnish
- Peel potatoes, then cut them into large cubes.
- In a large pot, add the potatoes and cover with water. Boil for about 14 minutes or until tender.
- In a pot, boil eggs for about 14 minutes.
- While eggs and potatoes are boiling, dice the onion and celery.
- Once potatoes are finished cooking, drain excess water and add the potatoes to a bowl.
- Once the eggs are done, peel and dice them.
- Add the diced eggs to the bowl with potatoes and mix together.
- Fold the mustard into the mixture.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least two hours prior to serving.
Welcome to with Kultural Kreations! Our recipes are southern based; however, we create a variety of delicious recipes from Air Fryer Recipes, Casseroles, Appetizers, Dessert, Cocktails and more!